Rachel started MoonDance in 1998. Upon completing a successful thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail in 1997, she felt that she needed to incorporate some major life changes. Her job as an engineer at IBM was no longer as fulfilling as it had once been and she felt the need to follow a different path in her life. Soap making, which started as a hobby to fulfill Rachel’s need to create with her hands, soon became an obsession and MoonDance was born. Housed in a 1500 square foot workshop which Rachel and Paul built themselves, MoonDance now employs Rachel and Paul as well as 5 part time employees. MoonDance has been a founding member of the DFM since 1998. z
Business Philosophy: At MoonDance Soaps & More we consider the creation of our products to be a synthesis of art and science. A merging of new and old wisdom. A combination of sensuality and practicality. MoonDance was founded not only to produce body care products of the highest quality at reasonable prices so that everybody can enjoy, but also to develop and implement meaningful ways of doing business.
• We make every effort to operate our business in an ethical and moral manner with the utmost respect for those our products and services touch.
• We endeavor to create a humanistic and respectful work environment and employ adults with disabilities and special needs.
• We believe in sourcing our ingredients locally as much as possible. We use the honey and beeswax from our own beehives, purchase the goats milk for our soaps from other DFM vendors and source our herbs and botanicals locally to as great an extent as possible.
• We make every effort to recycle or compost all of the wastes created in our manufacturing, packaging, and shipping activities.
• We also believe in the value of community and that each of us as individuals has a part to play in helping our society and one another. Each year MoonDance selects a charity to which we donate 5% of our profits. It's our way of giving back to the community and sharing our success.
We feel that by making these conscious decisions in our day to day operations and conduct, we are making MoonDance more than just a provider of exceptional products and services.