SNAP & COVID-19 Program Updates
The Durham Farmers’ Market is committed to increasing access to local and fresh food for ALL families and individuals in our community. In 2014, we started accepting SNAP/EBT benefits. Additionally, we offer a Double Bucks program that matches SNAP transactions dollar for dollar. This program is available every week during market hours. To learn more about this program and how you can help by donating, see the “Double Bucks” section!
Have SNAP? Here is how it works:
- Decide how much to spend at the market.
- Come to the info table in the center of the Pavilion by the bathrooms.
- Tell the staff member how much you want to spend.
- We will swipe your card and give you $1 wooden tokens to spend at the market. We will also match what you spend in Double Bucks tokens. Spend $15 and get $30 to spend at the market. Currently, we will match up to $30.
- Use tokens at any stand that has a SNAP/EBT sign. No change can be given. Each of our vendors that participates in the SNAP program can take your tokens for pre-order/delivery items that are normally covered by the program. Please contact them directly to work out the payment details for safely transferring tokens.
- You can save your tokens and spend them on other days. They never expire! Durham Farmers’ Market tokens can only be spent at our market. During COVID-19 Emergency Operations, each of our vendors that has signed up to participate in our SNAP plan may take tokens that you already have as payment for your pre-orders as well as direct sale at farm stands.
What can I buy using SNAP/EBT at the Durham Farmers’ Market and through DFM Vendors during the COVID-19 Emergency ?
- Plant Starts
Thanks to our grant partners, we are excited to offer Double Bucks to our SNAP customers. This means that if a SNAP customer spends $10, they will receive $20 worth of tokens to spend on fresh produce.
We also offer a cash matching program for our SNAP recipients who are out of benefits for the month, WIC clients and community members who live in public housing. To receive this benefit, simply bring cash to the info table and we’ll double the amount with tokens. As an example, $10 in cash equals $20 in tokens. For more info, send us an e-mail or visit the info table.
The Double Bucks Program has garnered much community support and has several community partners, including The Durham County Department of Public Health, the CROP Hunger Walk, the Burt’s Bees Greater Good Foundation and Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC. In addition, RAFI-USA (Rural Advancement Foundation International) serves as our fiscal sponsor. The Double Bucks program has also been funded by individual donations, crowd-funding and generous grants. You can make a tax-deductible donation through our fiscal sponsor, RAFI-USA.
Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)
In addition to cash and EBT, many vendors accept the Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP) checks. Customers may use their FMNP checks at the booths of vendors who sell fresh, unprepared fruits and vegetables. Before you spend your check, visit the info table and we can provide you with an additional $4 in tokens per voucher. To spend your check, simply hand the check to the person selling the fruit or vegetables and use it just like cash. Remember: you cannot collect change from the vendor during the transaction.
If you have questions about this program or how to use your FMNP checks at the market, please stop by our info table and we’re happy to assist you!