We cannot wait to kickoff a perfect spring weekend with you tomorrow! With the warmer weather, we hope you’re making progress on your garden and that you’re enjoying the mild evenings outdoors. Do you need a little inspiration? Visit a farm! Be sure to pick up your button at the Info Table for Carolina Farm Stewardship Association’s Piedmont Farm Tour. Several of our vendors are participating in the tour, where you’ll have the unique opportunity to go behind-the-scenes and see where your food comes from. What’s cooler than that?
We’re very excited to kick-off a new dance series at the market. Tomorrow you can join the Living Arts Collective and Durham Ecstatic Dance for a Community Dance Wave from 10:00-11:30 am. This event is for kids and adults and encourages playfulness. You don’t want to miss this opportunity to move your body and spend time with your neighbors!
Finally, please join us tonight for a special event at Durham Central Park. Yoga Off East and SYNCStudio are hosting a yoga fundraiser to benefit the families affected by the gas explosion. 100% of the proceeds will contribute equally to the Lee family and other Durham residents and employees impacted by the accident. For more information, please visit their website.
What’s for dinner?
Durham Farmers’ Market Spring Salad
Serves 2-3 people as a main or 4-6 people as a side
- 6 cups of greens, such as lettuce, spinach, baby kale, arugula, beet greens, etc.
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1-2 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets (broken into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup crumbled cheese
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar of choice or lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon or spicy mustard (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped herbs (optional)
Chef’s Tip: Have fun substituting favorite veggies in the salad depending on what’s in season. Create your perfect vinaigrette with this base recipe that makes endless flavor combinations. We like red wine vinegar with basil or cilantro. Making dressing at home takes only minutes and provides more taste and nutrition than the bottled kind. Enjoy!
Saturday, May 4
- Celebrate local, pasture-raised meat at our chef cook-off hosted with Got to Be NC from 9:00-11:00 am. For more details, check out the event page online.
Saturday, May 11
- Celebrate Mother’s Day and Graduation at the market with a special children’s activity on the lawn.
Saturday, July 13
- Mark your calendars for Tomato Day – it’s always one of the highlights of our year!