Grab your raincoat and visit the market tomorrow to pick-up all the ingredients you need to make a delicious meal for loved ones this weekend! There’s nothing better than trying a new recipe, listening to music and spending the weekend with friends and family. Even though it will be rainy, we hope you’ll join us tomorrow morning to spend time with your community.
Also, please note that the parking lot on Morris Street maybe closed on Saturday morning for repairs (weather dependent). There is still plenty of parking along Foster Street so you’ll be able to easily access the farmers’ market. Thank you for your patience and cooperation.
What’s for Dinner?
Beet, Lentil & Sweet Potato Soup
This soup is perfect for rainy weather. Don’t forget to add your favorite meat to this recipe and serve with a side of bread and cheese from your farmers’ market vendors.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1 lb beets, peeled and diced
- 1 lb sweet potatoes, diced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2/3 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 5 cups veggie or meat stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and stir for 5 minutes or until softened. Toss in the garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the beets, potatoes, carrots and celery. Stir for 1 minute, then add the lentils and thyme, stir once, and then pour in the stock. Add the turmeric, then bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium-low, and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes).
- Stir in the paprika and simmer the soup for another 15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!