We hope you got a little rest during the snow storm and that you’re excited to be outside this weekend after being cooped up indoors. This was quite the way to end a big weather year and was a tough break for our farmers. Lift your local farms up this December by shopping local for your holiday needs. You’ll find everything for your special meals at the market, along with beautifully made and packaged gifts for all the loved ones on your list.
Also, don’t forget that our friends at the Durham Craft Market are hosting their annual Holiday Craft Fair on Saturday from 11 am-4 pm at the Convention Center. Swing by the farmers’ market to stock up on your groceries and then go pick-up handmade holiday gifts made by local artists. Thank you for shopping small this holiday season!
Finally, we’re excited to announce that we’re now accepting new member applications for the 2019-20 season. The deadline for applications is January 4, 2019. For more information, please visit our website or send us an e-mail.
What’s for dinner?
10 Spice Vegetable Soup
This hearty meal is just what your body needs are you prepare to enjoy the sweet treats of the season. Whip up a batch of this veggie soup and you’ll have leftovers for a few days! And don’t forget to pick-up homemade bread at the market to enjoy with this soup. Finally, you can easily add meat or substitute other veggies depending on your preferences.
- 6 cups broth (veggie or bone)
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups onion (about 1 medium) or 1 bunch of scallions, diced
- 1 heaping cup peeled and chopped carrots (about 3 medium)
- 1 bell pepper
- 1.5 cups peeled and chopped sweet potato
- 1 heaping cup chopped celery (about 2 stalks)
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1-2 tablespoons Homemade 10-Spice Mix, to taste
- Fine-grain sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2-3 cups kale leaves (torn & de-stemmed)
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or other beans, drained and rinsed
- Homemade 10-Spice Mix (makes 1/2 cup):
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Check out this link & enjoy!