We hope you’re looking forward to a weekend of rest, relaxation and time with friends and family. It’s our joy to kickoff every weekend with you so we hope you’ll join us tomorrow morning!
As you know, many of our families, friends and neighbors are feeling the effects of the government shutdown. We want to help the best way we know how – through nutritious local food and a caring community. If you are a SNAP/EBT recipient, we are here to support you by expanding our Double Bucks program. Stop by the Info Table to get your tokens and talk to staff about what additional support is available. To our neighbors who are furloughed government employees, we’re opening up our Cash Match program to you until the shutdown is over. Please bring your government ID to the Info Table to get started. We appreciate our community and are here to nourish you and your families. If you have questions, please e-mail or call us and we’re happy to chat about these opportunities with you.
Finally, our friends at Farmer Foodshare are hosting a special event next Wednesday, January 23. Join them for the first in a series of free events featuring speakers from the Triangle region who live the Farmer Foodshare mission of “Food for All.” In this presentation, you’ll meet Kamal Bell of Sankofa Farms. Kamal started an Agricultural Academy on Sankofa Farms in order to teach young men living in low-income neighborhoods of Durham County about the history and vocation of farming. Kamal helps these youth understand the legacy of race and farming for African Americans, and he’s empowering these young people to take the knowledge and skills they obtain at Sankofa Farms back into their communities. He’s creating pathways for healthy living as well as careers. For more information, check out their event page. We hope you’ll attend!
What’s for dinner?
Kale & Sausage Soup
With the impending cold weather at the beginning of next week, now’s the perfect time to whip up a batch of hearty soup. And don’t forget to pick-up your favorite hearth-baked bread while you’re shopping on Saturday. Bread, butter and a hearty soup – what’s better than that?
- 1 pound of sausage, your choice
- 6-8 cups of broth
- 1 pound of potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 bag or bunch of kale
- 1 tsp. thyme
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the sausage on medium heat until slightly browned and set aside on a different plate.
- Chop the potatoes into small chunks and add to the broth. Boil on medium high heat until the potatoes are tender. Blend the potatoes and the broth together until smooth, return to pot, and keep warm on medium-low heat.
- Chop the onion and sauté. Add the onions to the broth-potato blend. Add the sausage (chopping first if needed), thyme, and salt and pepper to taste. Turn heat to low.
- Wash and chop the kale into thin pieces. Add to the soup and cook only as long as it takes for the kale to turn bright green. Remove from heat and serve. Enjoy!